How to maintain car catalytic converter? Check here to get answer! Catalytic converter converts harmful substances in automobile exhaust into less harmful substances through chemical reaction.For example, it can convert carbon monoxide, nitrogen monoxide, nitrogen dioxide and hydrocarbons into carbon dioxide and water vapor, etc.
Why is catalytic converter matter?
The catalytic converter belongs to the exhaust system of the vehicle. During use, they may be contaminated, blocked, or physically damaged, which will lead to poor engine performance, and in severe cases, the engine will stop.
What can cause damage to the catalytic converter?
Some pollutants can damage the catalytic converter, such as lead-containing gas, engine coolant and engine oil, among which the engine coolant can leak into the combustion system due to the failure of the cylinder head gasket. These liquids can clog the catalytic converter, thereby restricting the passage of exhaust gas.
If the spark plug does not ignite or the exhaust valve is leaking, there is too much unburned gas, and the catalytic converter may overheat.
What happens when the catalytic converter goes bad?
- Engine performance is slow
- The exhausted gas is black smoke with the smell of sulfur or rotten eggs
- The underside of the car is overheated
How to mainitain catalytic converter?
- Maintain your vehicleregularly.
- Keep your exhaust, emission and combustion systems in good condition, which can effectively reduce the probability of catalytic converter damage
- Check the engine lights regularly.