How to measure truck bed for tonneau cover? You must know the truck bed size before purchasing accessories such as liners, toolboxes, bed rails, tonneau covers, and even certain nerf bars for your truck. However, if the measurement is inaccurate, there will e a large deviation. Don't worry, and we have several quick ways to measure. Just a few minutes and a tape measure to find out.
How to measure truck bed size for tonneau cover？
The first thing to determine is the type of truck you have.
Then, next step is to measure the length of the truck bed. Note the measurements in feet, not inches.
The following are the specific steps to measure truck bed size.
1. First, prepare a tape measure at least 8 to 10 feet long.
2. Lower the tailgate and stand behind the truck.
3. Place the tape measure on the divider of the truck bed.
4. Use the gauge to measure from the truck's bulkhead to the inside edge of the tailgate.
5. Moving along the bed rail, extend the tape measure to the inside edge of the top of the tailgate—record measurements in inches.
6. Divide the inches by 12 to determine the length of the truck bed. Your truck bed length is in feet and inches remaining.
Another lookout is whether your truck bed has a baffle pad or truck bed pad. If any, the thickness of the lining needs to be subtracted from the total measurement because most tonneau covers are difficult to install without removing the thickness of the rail bed lining.
About the truck bed size
Keep in mind that most manufacturers standardize their truck bed size to fit the make and model of your truck.
That's because manufacturers usually round up the actual truck bed length to an even number. So it's normal if your truck bed measurements don't exactly match what you saw when you bought the tonneau cover. However, this error should be within a few inches of the specified length. So just choose the tonneau cover option that is closest to your measurements.